As the days get shorter and the nights draw in, so too does the temperate begin to drop. This means it is time to protect your pipes.
Here are some handy tips to help you ensure your pipes are winter ready:
- Insulate your storage tank and the water pipes in your loft
- Seal up any gaps to prevent the cold air from coming into the home
- Leave your loft hatch open to allow the warm air to circulate
- If you are leaving your home unoccupied for more than five consecutive days in the winter months (from 1st October to 31st April) make sure you keep it heated to a minimum of 10 degrees centigrade or turn off the water system by the main stopcock.
Escaping water from a burst pipe can cause considerable damage. Not only is it costly to repair but it can severely disrupt your everyday life and even leave your home uninhabitable. If you experience a burst pipe in your home, here are some simple steps you can take to minimise the damage:
- Immediately stop the flow of water into the house by turning off the stopcock.
- Drain the cold water in the system by flushing the toilet several times and running all the cold taps until the flow dries up.
- Turn off the main electrical supply.
- Contact ‘The Military Mutual’ as soon as possible.