All sorts of new fangled diets come out of the woodwork, as we suck on milkshakes, turn our noses up at carbs and dream of chocolate bars in our sleep (or is that just me)? The key thing to remember is that nobody finds weight loss easy. It’s incredibly hard, so you need to be disciplined and determined. Get that right and you’ll be wearing your favourite swimming cossie and strutting your stuff along the beach in no time.
What is the secret behind losing weight?
According to ex-serviceman Erak Simsson, a successful fitness coach and weight loss guru, it’s not just about the food intake. Yes diet is important, but he believes it needs to be supported by physical exercise and the right mental attitude. So, here are some of Erak’s golden tips to help you shape up this summer.
It’s all about the mind-set
- Have a goal and remind yourself of it every day. It’ll keep you going during the times when it all feels particularly difficult.
- Surround yourself with positive, likeminded people. It’s a huge boost in confidence if you have friends who’ll encourage you to stick to your diet, or join you on a run or in the gym.
- Be realistic with your starting point and build up slowly. Expecting too much of your body too early can be demotivating and may even lead to injury. Be kind to yourself; take your time.
Diet and Nutrition
- Eat plenty of Protein – as it helps to maintain a lean body mass and increases your metabolism. The higher your metabolic rate, the more calories you’ll burn.
- Don’t forget the carbs – they’re a great source of fuel for your body. Try and target carbohydrates that are rated either low to moderate on the Glycaemic Index. They should help stabilise your blood sugar levels and stop you feeling hungry between meals.
- Cut out unhealthy snacks – instead try fruit or nuts if you’re hungry between meals.
- Keep a food diary – stay motivated with a visual reminder of what you’ve eaten on a daily basis.
Plenty of exercise
- Elevate your heart rate with short bursts of activity – this in turn will improve your cardiovascular capacity and help burn calories. It’s important you train safely, so make sure you seek advice before you begin.
- Start using weights – this is a key element of training that is often overlooked. It’ll help you get leaner, boosts your metabolism, improves posture, and reduces the risk of osteoporosis.
- Find a training buddy – that extra support can make all the difference. You can do this by roping in a friend to train with you, joining a class or appointing a personal trainer.
- Make time for your exercise – be disciplined and use a diary. Specify a time and stick to it.
Just remember, you’re not alone on your quest to lose a few pounds – there are loads of us treading the same path. So, stay focused; if you train wisely and eat healthily, your summer’s bound to shape up nicely!
Connected or a supporter of the military?
We offer an alternative to conventional insurance for the serving, military families & supporters of the military.
Get A Quote…
- Military Home Insurance & Contents Cover
- Military Kit Insurance & Personal Belongings Cover
- Landlord Cover
- Car Insurance
Or call our UK contact centre for FREE on 0800 0882 966